Friday, June 22, 2012

Lamb Loin Chops with a Ginger Brandy Sauce

My grandmother wanted to cook lamb loin chops for my grandfather. I wasn't exactly sure what they looked like, tasted like, or how to cook them. And every time I talked to her she called them something different so I was thoroughly terrified.

Well, they look like small, fat pork chops but more of a red meat. The taste sort of like steak but wayyyyy more tender and flavorful when eaten medium-rare. And I'm about to tell you how to cook them!  I'm no expert, considering this was my first time cooking or eating them, but we all thought they were delicious.

I think the only down sides to these lamb loins is that 1) the cut of meat is usually pretty pricey and 2) it's a lot of work to get all the meat off the bone and it's a very small amount of meat. Like I was shameless gnawing on the bone to get all the meat off because I was at my grandparents' house. If I was out to dinner, things may have gotten a little weird. But as for the taste and ease of cooking, they are wonderful!

I served these chops with the lemon thyme turnips and the honey glazed snow peas and carrots that I shared in the last two posts. I loved the combination of the lemon, the honey, and the ginger. It was just so flavorful, yet fresh and subtle.

Give these a try if you're feeling adventurous or want to cook a meal that sounds/looks really impressive!

Lamb Loin Chops with a Ginger Brandy Sauce (4 servings of 2 chops) adapted from The Hungry Mouse

Ingredients:
  • seasonings (we got them from our butcher but you can just make your own using whatever herbs you have/like)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp butter, cold
  • 1/4 cup ginger brandy
  • 2 tsp parsley 
  • 2 tsp oregano
  1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. 
  2.  Cook the chops for 3-4 minutes on each side. This will cook the meat medium-rare.  
  3. Remove the chops from the pan and place in a baking dish. Place into the oven (any low-ish temperature is fine because they will only be in there for a minute or two, you just don't want them to get cold).
  4. Add cold butter to the pan. Pour in the brandy. It will produce a lot of smoke so stand back and don't worry. 
  5. Add the parsley and oregano to the sauce. 
  6. Add the chops back to the pan. Flip once or twice to coat them in the sauce. 
  7. Transfer the chops to a serving platter. Drizzle the remaining sauce on top. Serve immediately.

the chops are done!

cooked and sauced!


No comments:

Post a Comment