Friday, June 8, 2012

Baked Grapefruit

This is barely a recipe. But it is really delicious and easy so I figured I'd share it!

Also I'm currently "participating" in a horrifically boring and useless online technology graduate class. So I figured why not use my time wisely to get in a quick blog post? I'm also pinning and watching "Say Yes to the Dress - Bridesmaids".  I'm a master multitasker.

I used to eat grapefruit with my grandfather, Curt, all the time. I would make him separate the sections perfectly and coat it in about a cup of granulated sugar and deliver it to my TV table in the living room. I was a total princess spoiled brat. He even had these special serrated spoons that were ONLY used for grapefruit consumption. And could possibly double as a tool for cutting out my tongue if I was rude.

Anway, this is a great way to eat grapefruit for people who don't think they like it because it's too bitter but also don't want to add the previously mentioned cup of sugar. The brown sugar and honey sweetens the grapefruit up and the heat makes the sweetness soak all the way through the fruit. I also love that baking the grapefruit makes it swell so it's really juicy! A helpful hint is to cut the grapefruit into sections before baking. This will allow the sugar and honey to really sink in. It will also ensure that you don't burn yourself while try to dig out the sections while it's piping hot. Why yes, I am speaking from experience.

Give this "recipe" a try for a quick, tasty, and healthy breakfast or snack!

Baked Grapefruit
  • 1 grapefruit
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • cinnamon (to taste)
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Cut the grapefruit in half. Cut around the sections of the grapefruit (just inside the peel but leaving the peel itself in tact).
  3. Sprinkle each half with 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of honey on each half. Sprinkle each half with the desired amount of cinnamon.
  4. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until grapefruit sections are puffed up and/or beginning to caramelize. 
  5. Dig in - carefully!

cinnamon chip muffin with raspberry jam and baked grapefruit. yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment