Thursday, January 5, 2012

Turkey Pot Pie

Hi everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are currently enjoying the New Year!

My resolution for 2012 is to stop neglecting this blog. I just get so distracted around the holidays with spending time with my family and really committing to complete relaxation. But now I have no more excuses because the next holiday is Valentine's Day and that means nothing.

The recipe I'm sharing today is something I made from Thanksgiving leftovers. Yes, that's right... Thanksgiving... like back in November. It's a tribute to how much of a bum I've been.

There's few things I love more than Thanksgiving leftovers. I could eat potatoes and stuffing for weeks and never get sick of it. I also love turkey, probably because my family really only eats it around Thanksgiving (which will definitely be changing). This year my mom mentioned that she was craving pot pie so I figured I would give it a shot. I had never eaten or made a homemade pot pie. I only remember eating the little frozen ones on a weekly basis when I was growing up. Then as I got older I realized that a tiny pie that doesn't fill you up packs in over 500 calories.  Not okay.

I used the Pillsbury recipe for a chicken pot pie. The only real changes that I made is that I doubled the turkey and added sauteed mushrooms, which is reflected in the recipe below. That sounds a little excessive but as I was making my filling, it looked really runny. I thought a runny filling would make for a soggy pie that would be hard to serve. I think I made the right choice because it was moist and tasty without being soupy.

This was really easy to make and the perfect comfort food for a chilly night. It would be really easy to do with leftover or rotisserie chicken as well. I'll put that on my "to do" list and so should you! :)

Turkey Pot Pie (6 servings)
Crust
  • 1box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
Filling
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 3/4 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 cups shredded cooked turkey
  • 2 cups Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 1 8oz package of mushrooms, sauteed 
  1. Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.
  2. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
  3. Stir in turkey, mixed vegetables, and mushrooms. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
  4. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


I could have stopped at this point and eaten it with a ladle



No comments:

Post a Comment