Monday, January 23, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles

I'm going to get real for a minute so bare with me.

Do you ever have one of those days? You know, the ones where you just don't want to get out of bed? Or like you just don't feel like anything you do is worthwhile?

Yeah, me too.  Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly working toward my fairytale future, which never seems to get any closer.  It seems like every time I think I'm making progress, I meet another obstacle... that whole "one step forward, two steps back" game. Because I'm always thinking about the future, sometimes I forget to live in the present.  In order to get what I want, I've had to make choices and sacrifices that have left me feeling less than satisfied. Examples: living in an overpriced room in a town where I don't know anyone to go to school, having no social life because I work and go to school full-time, sabotaging all prospects for potential relationships because it's the last thing on my list of priorities, and basically kissing my "fun" early 20s goodbye. 

I'm usually pretty good at ignoring my feelings and plugging along. But sometimes I just get in a funk.  So I do what any normal girl does in this situation.  I turn on some trashy pop music, dance around in my sweatpants, and bake my heart out. 

That's where this recipe comes in.  Chocolate and peanut butter. Sweet and salty. These bite-sized treats are the perfect remedy to the "OMGMYLIFEISAMESSWAHHHHHH" bad moods. In fact, I have made them three times and keep small sandwich baggies of them in the freezer for emergencies. No, I'm not kidding.

Here's the bad mood cure: Put on some trashy reality tv or a marathon of your favorite show. Pop these truffles in your mouth with your left hand while you online shop with your right hand. You'll feel better in no time.  This might not be the healthiest option but it's better than throwing a tantrum like a toddler or alcoholism.

Sorry that these pictures are horrific. As mentioned, I was in a pretty foul mood when I made them and did not feel like being a photographer. And by the time I felt better, they were gone. So just trust me, and make them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles (50 truffles) from The Sweets Life
-4 tbsp butter, at room temperature
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 cup smooth peanut butter
-heaping 1/2 cup peanut M&Ms, coarsely chopped or crushed, plus additional for decorating
-1 cup chopped, crushed pretzel sticks
-dipping chocolate melts

1. Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until evenly combined. Mix in peanut butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in the peanut M&Ms and pretzel sticks with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
2. Place dough in freezer for 15 minutes to chill slightly. Remove and form 1-inch balls (approximately) of the mixture, placing on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Freeze for 15-20 minutes, until firm.
3. Melt chocolate candy melts. Remove peanut butter balls from freezer and, using a fork, dip each one in the melted chocolate, rolling to coat completely. Immediately garnish with chopped M&M pieces or garnish of choice. Lay covered balls on lined baking sheets and continue until all balls have been dipped.
4.  Store in freezer in an airtight container until ready to serve.



Who cares what they look like? They'll be gone before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment