Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pico de Gallo


I love making my own salsas and dips because I can make them to fit my tastes perfectly. For example, with any type of salsa, I generally like more heat and cilantro than most people. I literally cannot get enough of those two flavors. So when I make this pico de gallo for only myself I usually double or triple the amount of jalapenos and cilantro. If I’m making it for a dinner party, I’ll make it as directed and then leave some extra jalapenos and cilantro in a small bowl that I can add to my plate to satisfy my taste buds. It’s perfect!

Pico de gallo is really easy to make. It tastes way better than the stuff you can buy in the grocery store, especially when tomatoes are in season. I also think it tastes better on the second and third days because the garlic, cilantro, jalapenos, and onions meld together and the tomatoes soak up the flavor.

This should definitely be a staple in any Mexican dinner.

Pico de Gallo (4 servings)
  • 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
  • 2 chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)
  • 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1.  In a bowl combine all ingredients. Let it marinate in the refrigerator at least an hour (I think overnight is best) for best results.



No comments:

Post a Comment