Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fish Tacos with Mango, Peach, and Pineapple Salsa


 Hi everyone! I've been sort of out of touch for the last week because I have been finishing up my LAST FULL SEMESTER OF SCHOOL EVER! How exciting! So I've been really busy with finishing up work and trying to pack up some of my things. I'm basically living between my apartment at school and my mom's house for the summer, which is hectic because my stuff is everywhere. I hate moving. I feel like I have just been shuffling my things around for about a year now, without having a permanent place for anything. I'm about ready to shred all of my teaching binders because they are so heavy and huge and I just keep shoving them in awkward places like under my bed and random bins in my mom's basement.

Anywayyyyy, here is the final recipe from the Cinco de Mayo festivities earlier this month! This was my first attempt at making fish tacos, and I think they came out pretty great! I love fish tacos because they are a lighter option than the usual meaty and cheesy tacos. These are perfect to have on a hot day with a fruity adult beverage. I think the highlight was the salsa. I was just eating it with chips. And maybe a couple spoonfuls.

The only change that I might make to this recipe is to infuse a little heat by either seasoning the fish with some chili powder/cayenne pepper or by adding some diced jalapenos into the salsa. I just love hot food and the combination of sweet and heat is always a winner in my book. However, in a party setting, I think it might appeal to greater number of guests without the spice. 

Also, sorry about the lack of pictures of the ingredients and process. We had SO much going on and not enough time/space for adequate picture taking!

Fish Tacos with Peach, Mango, and Pineapple Salsa (6-8 tacos) adapted from Mother Thyme
  • 3 6oz tilapia fillets
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 round soft flour tortillas 
For the salsa
  • 1 cup peaches, peeled and chopped (fresh, frozen and thawed, or canned are fine; I used canned)
  • 1 cup of pineapple, peeled and chopped (fresh or canned are fine; again, I used canned)
  • 1 mango, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon of cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Mexican cheese (optional)
  • avocado (optional)
1.       Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil.  Place fillets on baking sheets and season both sides with salt, pepper and lightly pour lemon juice.
2.       Cook in a preheated oven for 14 minutes or until fish is cooked thru and flaky.
3.       While the fish is cooking, prepare the salsa. In a bowl combine all ingredients and stir until mixed thoroughly.  Chill for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to settle.
4.       Remove from oven and using two forks, gently shred the fish in to large pieces.
5.       Warm tortillas by placing in tinfoil in the oven for 10 minutes.  Remove tortillas from oven and place on platter.
6.       Assemble the tacos by placing the fish on the tortillas and topping with a generous helping of salsa as well as Mexican cheese and avocado if desired. 

the finished salsa

uncooked tilapia
cooked and ready to be made into tacos!
assembled fish taco!


No comments:

Post a Comment