Monday, May 7, 2012

7 Layer Taco Dip

Happy belated Cinco de Mayo!

I went over to Michelle's to do some festive cooking and drinking. This is becoming quite a wonderful habit. I love having a fellow foodie friend :)

We enjoyed a Mexican style feast and quite a few beer-garitas. I wanted to do a post about the beer-garitas but we consumed them before I remembered to take a picture. I guess that means I'll have to make them again. Twist my arm, why don't ya?

Michelle and I :) I look 7 feet tall. I'm not. Heels just make me happy.
the makings of the wonderful beer-garitas.

plate full of Mexican food! fish tacos, 7 layer dip, and beef empanadas!


 This is one of my favorite dips. It's delicious and so versatile! It can be served hot or cold. It can made with or without meat. You can switch up the ingredients based on what you're in the mood for or what you have on hand. For me, this dip always has to have a layer of beans, a layer of sour cream, a layer of salsa, and a layer of cheese. For the rest, I just let my cravings make the decisions. For this version, we decided to add some chicken because we also made a fish and a ground beef dish. We added a layer of guacamole... a very thin layer because all of the avocados were rock hard. You'd think that the grocery store would invest in some quality avocados for Cinco de Mayo weekend, gosh. We added jalapenos, olives, and scallions as our delicious topping choices. We chose to bake both of them because we were in the mood for melty cheese.

If you're not going to bake the dip, you could go with fresh tomatoes and diced avocados instead of salsa and guacamole. However, you decide to make this dip, make sure you serve it with some sturdy chips because it is intensely dense. And delicious. And impossible to stop snacking on.

7 Layer Taco Dip (2 8x8 or 1 9x13 baking dish)
  • 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 chicken breasts, shredded (optional) (I used precooked because I'm lazy.)
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 16 oz (reduced fat) sour cream (or do 8 oz of cream cheese and 8 oz of sour cream for a more dense layer)
  • 1 taco seasoning packet
  • 3 avocados
  • 1 guacamole seasoning packet (yeah, I cheated... whatever...)
  • 8 oz of shredded cheese (I used reduced fat Mexican blend)
  • 2.25 oz sliced black olives
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 4 oz pickled jalapenos 
  1. Preheat the oven to 375. 
  2. Mash the black beans in a bowl until it is a mushy but chunky mixture. Spread on the bottom of the dish(es).
  3. Mix the chicken (if using) with the salsa. Layer on top of the beans.
  4. Mix the sour cream with the taco seasoning packet. Layer on top of the salsa.
  5. Mash the avocados. Mix in the guacamole seasoning packet. Spread on top of the sour cream.
  6. Sprinkle cheese over the guacamole layer.
  7. Evenly distribute black olives, scallions, and pickle jalapenos over the cheese. 
  8. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, turn oven to broil, and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is fully melted.
  9. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!




hard, unspreadable, unripened avocado :(


Michelle is a crazy lady who doesn't like olives.
I want to eat this with a spoon small shovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment