Wednesday, April 4, 2012

White Hot Chocolate

Hot chocolate? In April?

Crazy, right? In New York, we had about 2 weeks of 70 degree weather. I was wearing skirts without stockings and trading in my boots for my pumps. I even brought all of my winter coats and heavy sweaters to my mom's house to put in storage for next year.

I jumped the gun, probably due to wishful thinking, because now it's back in the 40s and 50s. New York weather is all over the place!

Anyway, after those two weeks of being spoiled with gorgeous weather, the return to our typical early spring climate left me feeling chilled to the bone. Possibly because I currently have no appropriate coats. So I broke out the white hot chocolate.

I actually can't believe it took me so long to share this easy recipe because I think it's the only reason I survived the winter.  It is absolutely delicious, sweet, and creamy. It's far cheaper than buying a cup at Starbucks and, in my opinion, it tastes wayyyyy better. It's also really simple to make. I had assumed that since coffee places charge 5 bucks for a white hot chocolate, there must be some scientific process or magical ingredients. Nope. Just some milk, chocolate, some spices, and a simple stirring motion. Viola!

There's something about homemade hot chocolate that just screams "There's no place like home!" to me.  I love making a mug of this and curling up under my fleece covers with a good book or some trashy television. It is VERY rich so a small mug is more than enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and warm you up! So until the weather warms up again, I'll be choosing this steamy treat for my nightly sweet tooth indulgence :)

If you need to study or get some work done, pour yourself a half of a mug of strong brewed coffee and fill the rest of the mug with the white hot chocolate. BAM! White chocolate mocha! You're practically a professional barista. 

If it's been "one of those days" and you need a little extra relaxation, this white hot chocolate is also delicious with a shot of Bailey's. Or so I've heard...

White Hot Chocolate
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk (you can use whatever percentage you'd like; you can even use half-and-half for an extra rich and creamy taste)
  • 1/3 cup white chocolate
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
  1. Heat the milk and spices until almost boiling.
  2. Add the chocolate and stir constantly (so it doesn’t burn) until it is fully incorporated.
  3. Serve with marshmallows and whipped cream. 

so much deliciousness with so few ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment