Monday, March 26, 2012

Honey Mustard Glazed Corned Beef and Cabbage

I love corned beef and cabbage. I look forward to it all year long.

That's all going to change now that I know how to make it. It is no longer reserved for only St. Patrick's Day.

I load mine up with horseradish and vinegar. Like a borderline gross amount. And I wonder why I haven't been on any dates lately. Probably because I smell like boiled cabbage and vinegar. At least my taste buds have companionship :)

In order to make this recipe slightly more diet friendly, I substituted parsnips for potatoes and doubled the carrots.

My favorite part of this recipe is the glaze. I think it gives the corned beef a really great flavor. And putting the meat in the oven for about 20 minutes makes it a little crispy on the edges while still preserving the tenderness.

In general, I was surprised by how quickly and easily this came together. The only thing that will stop me from making this once every couple months is the price of corned beef. Out of season (St. Patrick's Day season, that is), it's straight up ridiculous!

Honey Mustard Glazed Corned Beef and Cabbage (6 servings) adapted from Closet Cooking
For the corned beef
·         3-4 pound corned beef brisket
·         3 tablespoons of Dijon or spicy brown mustard
·         1 tablespoon of honey
·         2 tablespoons of brown sugar
For the vegetables
·         1 head of cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
·         1 bag of carrots, sliced
·         1 bag of parsnips, sliced
·         1 onion, sliced
1.       Place the corned beef along with the spices into a large pot and cover completely with water.
2.       Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until fork tender (about 1 hour per pound).
3.       Remove the beef from the water, keeping the water in the pot. Scrape the fat off of the top and sides of the corned beef (it should fall right off if you scrape the meat with the back side of a butter knife). Pat the meat dry.
4.       Mix the honey and the mustard in a small bowl. Spread evenly over the beef.
5.       Sprinkle the beef with the brown sugar.
6.       Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
7.       While the corned beef is in the oven, put the carrots, parsnips, and onions in the pot with the water that the corned beef was cooked in. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the cabbage and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
8.       Slice the beef against the grain and serve with the vegetables. 






look at that gorgeous slab corned beef!



I'm going to be eating corned beef and cabbage for dayyyys.

No comments:

Post a Comment