Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips

I've decided that, in honor of football season, I'm going to try to post an appetizer every Sunday. I absolutely love snack food and appetizers. There's something about bite-sized food that allows you to eat more than you would have thought humanly possible. I think I could snack all day and never get full.  Considering the fact that I live alone, this could be dangerous. I'll try my best not to sit down and eat a full bag of chips and dip... but I make no promises.

Like this dip. It's okay to eat it in massive quantities because it's made of fruit... right? This fresh twist on salsa is perfect for an end of summer barbecue!  It can be eaten as an appetizer, as a dessert, or as a fruit salad without the chips! The chips on their own are amazingly addictive (I think I ate half of a bag while chopping the fruit). You could make them from scratch if you wanted but I'm such a big fan of Stacy's that I decided not to bother.

As is typical of salsa, it's very easy to make but takes a lot of chopping. I chopped the fruit up pretty small so that each bite could contain a little of each fruit but big enough so that the fruits were still identifiable. This recipe is very easily adapted.  You can use whatever fruit and preserves that you have on hand.  I think the kiwis give it a nice color and the apples give it a great texture. My mom brought it to a party and substituted blueberries for the raspberries and said it was a hit! I made it for a party I was going to so I made a ton but feel free to cut the recipe down for a smaller gathering or a personal snack :)

Also, sorry for the pictures (or lack there of). There was a huge storm on the day of the party so the power was out.  Good thing I opted for a no bake appetizer. And thankfully I managed not to lose a finger during the chopping process even though I was using a knife... in the dark.... while sipping some Pinot Grigio.

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
  • 6 kiwis, peeled and diced
  • 2 Fiji apples, cored and diced
  • 2 8 ounces containers of raspberries
  • 1 pound strawberries
  • 2 peaches, diced
  • 4 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor (I used raspberry)
  • POSSIBLE ADDITIONS: mango, blueberries, pineapple, coconut flakes
  • Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
  1.  Chop all fruit as directed.
  2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis,  apples, raspberries, strawberries, peaches and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment