Monday, July 9, 2012

Patriotic Trifle

I was looking through my camera and I realized that I forgot to post my 4th of July recipe! Food blogger fail. Especially for me because I get really excited about making themed food. And parties. And outfits. I blame my love for all things themed on my four years of sorority life <3

I made this patriotic trifle to bring to a family friend's barbeque. I had to whip something up really quickly because I was soaking up the sun all day and did not feel like being cooped up in the kitchen. I threw together this trifle in about 30 minutes so it was perfect!

This dessert is easily adaptable. I used angel food cake, strawberry puree, vanilla pudding, and blueberries and strawberries for the layers. You can use any flavor of cake, fruit puree/alcohol (to moisten the cake), pudding, and fruit/candy topping that you'd like. The possibilities are endless! My mom makes a boozy version with chocolate cake, Bailey's, chocolate pudding, and Heath Bar pieces. Everyone goes absolutely crazy for it. The important thing to remember is the order of the layers:

  1. Cake
  2. Fruit puree/alcohol
  3. Pudding
  4. Cool whip
  5. Toppings (fruit/candy)
  6. Repeat!
I cannot wait to experiment with more flavor combinations!  I will definitely be making plenty of other versions because: it's so easy to put together; it tastes great; and it's very pretty if the layers are carefully assembled. This is perfect for a party because it's cheap and makes a ton of servings!

So happy belated 4th of July! I'm within a week so it's still acceptable to celebrate, right?

Patriotic Trifle
  • 2 angel food cakes
  • 2 boxes instant vanilla pudding (I used sugar free)
  • 1 quart whole milk
  • 1 large container Cool Whip (I used fat free)
  • 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 2 16 oz containers strawberries, sliced
  • 2 pints blueberries
  • 1 banana, sliced
  1. Prepare the instant pudding according to the directions on the back of the package (I used 1 quart of whole milk for two packages of pudding mix). Chill in the refrigerator for about a half hour.
  2. Puree 1 cup of strawberries with the sugar and water. Set aside.
  3. Tear up one angel food cake into bite-sized pieces. Place in an even layer at the bottom of a large, clear serving bowl.
  4. Pour half of the strawberry puree over the cake layer. 
  5. Spread half of the pudding evenly over the cake. Make sure the pudding goes all the way to the sides of bowl so the separation of layers can be seen from the outside of the bowl.
  6. Spread half of the Cool Whip over the pudding layer in the same manner.
  7. Reserve enough strawberries and blueberries for the flag decoration. Combine the rest of the blueberries and strawberries. Make an even layer of fruit. 
  8. Repeat steps 3 through 6.
  9. Create an American flag out of the remaining fruit, as shown in the pictures below.







look at those layers!
Happy 4th of July, America!
yeah, that's a themed dessert and a matching outfit :)
diggin' in!

No comments:

Post a Comment