Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bronx Egg Cream

Hi everyone! Happy February!

I've been MIA because of the busy start to yet another semester and I went home to Saratoga for the Super Bowl. And, as I've mentioned in other posts, I don't do anything when I go home. I just like to spend time with my family and relax. So this quick recipe is inspired by my time at home.

My sister and I were lounging on the couch doing some serious Facebook stalking and browsing Instagram and Pinterest (two peas in a pod, right?). She mentioned that she wanted to make "chocolate fizzies". Because I've passed many of my obsessions/bad habits down to her, I knew that she was making a reference to Law and Order: SVU. I am not joking when I say that she and I have spent full days on the couch watching marathons and have probably seen every single episode at least twice.

I figured we'd give it a shot. But when I searched "chocolate fizzy" nothing came up. I remembered the little girl in the show saying it was chocolate milk and seltzer water so I searched for that instead. I found out that the official name for the drink is a "Bronx Egg Cream".  Apparently it used to be a popular fountain soda but now it's hard to come by so people make it with seltzer water, milk, and chocolate syrup. 

We headed to the kitchen to give it a shot. Now let me start by saying - I do not like to drink milk. I never ever drink a glass of it, it grosses me out. Something about drinking a liquid from an animal's boobs really creeps me out. But putting it in coffee, making delicious hot chocolate with it, and making it into delicious cream sauces and cheeses is totally different.

I'm strange and often illogical. I've accepted it so I hope you can too.

Given my aversion to milk, it makes sense that I wouldn't like this drink. I took a sip of it and that was more than enough. I put the rest in glass with ice and topped it with whipped cream for my sister. Once she stopped laughing at the bad face I made long enough to have some, she said that she really liked it and it tasted like "Yoo-Hoo".

The only negative aspect that she mentioned was that the ice cubes coated in milk were kind of gross. She ate them anyway. Typical.

So give this a shot and drop me a comment to answer the question:  Are you a fan of the Bronx Egg Cream?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 Bronx Egg Cream (yields one serving)
  • 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup (something a little thicker than Hersey's squeeze bottle would be better)
  • 5 oz of milk
  • 3 oz of seltzer
  • whipped cream (optional)
  1. Mix the chocolate syrup and milk together.
  2. While stirring, add the seltzer water and continue stirring. 
  3. Pour over ice and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

yay or nay?

No comments:

Post a Comment